We have all done it! thought of embarking on something but kept putting it on the back burner for one reason or another. I call this falling into the “perfection trap” where you are waiting until everything is perfect before you take action. Your place on the perfection spectrum differs from individual to individual. Some on the extreme are so caught up in this trap that they end up achieving nothing.
I read somewhere that when a woman has 80% knowledge about a topic she will say she has almost no knowledge about the subject. On the other hand, men use the 20% knowledge they have on a subject to claim mastery and take the plunge into the matter. Below I share two ways you can use to avoid the perfection trap.
Take The Plunge And Learn On The Job
Many times, we remain at the initial stages of a project because we want everything figured out before we can start. Unfortunately this robs us of what could be and living life in its fullness.
I recall how I started this blog. I received an email promoting The Elite Bloggers Academy. After watching the video I felt a leading to give blogging a try. I had no idea what blogging was about except that one needed to know how to write. Since I love writing and telling stories I felt energized and googled how to start a blog then commenced the journey. It was after I read Abby Lawson’s book Building a Framework: The Ultimate Blogging Handbook that I understood what exactly was involved in blogging.
Maybe for you it is not blogging but something else you have wanted to try out. You need to let go of all the doubts in your mind and give it a try. There is always help along the way and hey “done is better than perfect”.
Refuse To Let Fear Paralyse You
Many times we get caught up in the perfection trap because we let fear paralyze us. Sometimes it is fear of failure but other times like Marianne Williamson says “it is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us”. Very often your fears let the voices in your head drown out the still small voice that constantly reminds you that you are capable and can “do all things through Jesus Christ who gives us strength”. We are told that “whatever our hands find to do, we should work at it with all our might…” you notice here that it does not say do perfectly. Yours is to work with such excellence that your work glorifies your heavenly father and you stand out from the crowd.
I am learning on my blogging journey that sometimes, “you do not need to see the entire staircase before you take the first step“. What I need to remember is that “a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step”. Mine is to take that first step and trust the all knowing God to complete the process.
This week I challenge you to give careful thought to the words of Marianne Williamson below and ask yourself what are you putting off because everything does not feel right. After you have your answer, take a step forward and work with excellence and see your dreams turn into reality.